For it is by grace you have been saved...

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Palin For President

I confess. Though I try to keep up with politics, and have been known to share my opinion in that area whether folks want to hear it or not, the truth is...I hate political speeches. Always have. And for the most part, I don't even watch them. Oh, every once in awhile I might tune in for bits and pieces of a State of the Union address or something. But for the most part, when I look at the on screen TV guide and see every major network carrying some political speech or another, I start looking for re-runs of Andy Griffith.

Last night was an exception. Readers of this blog (both of you) know that I was a staunch supporter of Mike Huckabee during the primary race. And quite honestly, I've never been real enthused about John McCain. But when I heard who he had chosen for a running mate, I found myself just a bit more encouraged. So to be sure, I tuned in last night to hear Gov. Sarah Palin's speech at the RNC. (In case you missed it, you can read a transcript here)

OK, I know this is all show. I know she has speech writers like any other politician (although I'm convinced the "hockey mom" joke was off the cuff); still I was impressed. This lady is a genuine conservative; someone who seems to not mind stating her mind regardless of what the liberal media thinks.


Palin seems to be genuinely convicted on issues of life, smaller government, American patriotism, 2nd Ammendment rights, etc.; all issues that us "common folks" in the Heartland seem to care about. They don't seem to be political issues to her; they seem to be honest convictions.
Certainly no one is perfect. We've already had some of this family's "imperfections" shoved down our throat by the liberal media (see my previous post for a response to that). But I found myself genuinely liking this Alaskan Governor.

Actually, there was only one real point of disagreement all night (other than her glowing recommendations of McCain, who I still have reservations about). At the end of her speech, Sen. McCain came out holding a microphone. After greeting the whole Palin family who had come on stage, he turned to the crowd and said something like "Don't you think we made the right choice for the next Vice President of the United States?" To which my wife, ever the wise one in our home, replied, "No you didn't. She should be running as President instead of you!"

No comments: