For it is by grace you have been saved...

Monday, August 17, 2009

Purely Pagan Pleasure

Obviously I’ve not posted here in awhile. Life has just gotten pretty hectic in the last week or so. However, I’m looking forward to a little break to indulge in a road trip that is a “dream come true” for me.


One of our deacons ended up with an extra ticket for the Bristol Night Race. If you are not a NASCAR fan you will not understand the import of this; and nothing I can write here will adequately describe it for you. Suffice to say that I have always told my wife that if I could ever attend just one Cup race in my lifetime, it would be the Bristol Night Race. It’s been a few weeks since he offered, and I’m still not sure it’s a reality yet.


Now, I understand that this is pure pagan delight. I will of course miss church this weekend. A preacher skipping church for a stock car race must be the height of idolatry. However, I can’t help myself.


Actually, I’ve been working on my NASCAR habit recently. Having reduced our satellite package to the bare minimum, I haven’t actually even seen a race on TV in a couple months (no Speed Channel, No ESPN, etc.). I haven’t wasted money on racing paraphernalia in almost a year. I’ve been doing quite well. But this is the complete fall off the wagon kind of thing!


Pray for our 12+ hour road trip. Pray it doesn’t rain and postpone the race! And pray that I will be forgiven for this little indulgence into worldly pursuits. Oh, yeah, and…GO JEFF GORDON!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy and I kind of envy you. Never been to one myself. I use to watch Mark Martin race in Springfield occasionally when they had a asphalt track.
T.A.