For it is by grace you have been saved...

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Hello, Constitution Party

Two years ago I posted an article which I titled, “Goodbye, GOP.” I was voicing my frustration that the Republican Party was shoving John McCain down our throats as the presidential nominee, ignoring the truly conservative base of the party.

I said there that I wasn’t sure what I was going to do, but I simply could not support a candidate without a pro-life and pro-family record. I know that the official party platform speaks to those issues, but the actions by the powers that be to push a non-conservative like McCain speaks louder than those printed words.

For two years I’ve felt in limbo. I’ve wanted to support the GOP. I still believe in many of the things they have stood for over the years. Reagan is still one of my heroes. But the longer things go on, the more it seems as if the answer to our nation’s political woes are not to be found in the GOP. So now what?

Enter the Constitution Party. Now, before I go on, let me say that this is still just another political party in many ways. And political parties come with an inherent set of weaknesses, the largest of which is that there will always be some within the party that we will not agree with.

That being said, have you read the party platform? This is how it begins:

Preamble

The Constitution Party gratefully acknowledges the blessing of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ as Creator, Preserver and Ruler of the Universe and of these United States. We hereby appeal to Him for mercy, aid, comfort, guidance and the protection of His Providence as we work to restore and preserve these United States.

This great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religions but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ. For this very reason peoples of other faiths have been and are afforded asylum, prosperity, and freedom of worship here.

The goal of the Constitution Party is to restore American jurisprudence to its Biblical foundations and to limit the federal government to its Constitutional boundaries.

The Constitution of these United States provides that "no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States." The Constitution Party supports the original intent of this language. Therefore, the Constitution Party calls on all those who love liberty and value their inherent rights to join with us in the pursuit of these goals and in the restoration of these founding principles.

The U.S. Constitution established a Republic rooted in Biblical law, administered by representatives who are Constitutionally elected by the citizens. In such a Republic all Life, Liberty and Property are protected because law rules.

We affirm the principles of inherent individual rights upon which these United States of America were founded:

• That each individual is endowed by his Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are the rights to life, liberty, property and the pursuit of happiness;

• That the freedom to own, use, exchange, control, protect, and freely dispose of property is a natural, necessary and inseparable extension of the individual's unalienable rights;

• That the legitimate function of government is to secure these rights through the preservation of domestic tranquility, the maintenance of a strong national defense, and the promotion of equal justice for all;

• That history makes clear that left unchecked, it is the nature of government to usurp the liberty of its citizens and eventually become a major violator of the people's rights; and

• That, therefore, it is essential to bind government with the chains of the Constitution and carefully divide and jealously limit government powers to those assigned by the consent of the governed.

As someone devoted to Biblical principles; and as a pastor with a concern for keeping ourselves faithful to our “founding documents” (Scripture), these words speak to my heart. In addition, the unashamed mention of the name of Christ thrills my soul.

From there the platform goes on the be boldly pro-life, pro-family, pro-2nd Amendment, pro-state’s rights, and anti-large federal government. All things I agree with in the strongest of terms.

Again, I know these are just words. The men and women behind them will have to live them out. But in this day and time when it’s obvious that too many Democrats do live out their platform, and not enough Republicans adhere to theirs, I think maybe it’s time for a change; a change for the better, not like we’ve seen in the last year or so. And I think the Constitution Party may just be the kind of change we need.

Besides, after reading all three party platforms, I think I’m convinced that the CP is the party even our founding fathers would have approved. I think I’m in, and I’d invite you to join me. Do the research. Then search your heart. It’s time to stop worrying about “electability,” a word our forefathers never would have uttered, and take our stand as they did; on conviction and principles; the kind found in the document they produced: the U. S. Constitution.

6 comments:

Rod said...

Scott, GREAT to read your post! I ran for MO State Treasurer in 08 and we gained ballot access. Hope you will be involved.

http://www.constitutionpartymo.org/rod_farthing.html

http://www.arm.org/Family.htm

(and scroll toward the bottom)

Joseph Martellaro said...

I couldn't agree with you more, which is why I chose the Constitution Party to run for the US Senate. We must give the power of the Government back to its rightful owners~~The American people.

I am aware that running on a third party ticket is difficult, but with great supporters, like yourself, maybe this will be the year to start turning things around in Washington, D.C. I will do everything I can to uphold my oath to the Constitution. I will only seek one term, as I believe those who are career politicians only care about getting re-elected.

Thank you so much for you courage,
Joseph Martellaro for US Senate 2010 from Missouri

tom young said...

Praise the Good Lord for Scott. These words could and should be spoken every time the occasion arises for every member of the Constituion Party. Scott, You spoke to the very heart of the problem in America. God Bless.

Tom Young

Dave Lay said...

I came to the same conclusion as a Christian and Viet Nam Era veteran.I believe Christ is the bedrock, the Declaration of Independence the foundation, the Constitution the framework, and the Bill of Rights the walls of the United States. I am running for U.S. Congress in Dist. 5 of Missouri for the Constitution Party and will stand only on these principles. God bless you my brother.

Scott said...

Gentlemen, thank you all for your kind words and your commitment to make a difference. I pray I have the strength of conviction to follow through and not give in to the siren song of the GOP come election time!

Frances Clements said...

My husband and I really like the Constitution party as well. I wonder how many people are actually willing to really go back to the Constitution. So many millions of people get government money in one form or another. Most of these programs are not authorized by the Constitution.