For it is by grace you have been saved...

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Homeschooler Moment #12

Being a preacher's kid must be one of the hardest jobs on the planet; right after preacher's wife.  Add in being a homeschooler and the pressure is really on (or as someone told our oldest daughter: "You're really on the fringe!).

Of course, the one thing that might be harder than all those is to be the Preacher/Dad.  I've always felt this great pressure to live up to certain standards, knowing my wife and kids were watching and listening and evaluating me as I preach each week.  I didn't realize how much I was being watched and evaluated until recently.

We always put "fill in the blank" outlines in our church bulletin to encourage our folks to take notes during the message.  It's not that I think I'm saying anything worth remembering, it's just I figure if folks are busy writing they might be less bored.  Anyway...

Last Sunday, our seven-year-old decided to forgo the printed outline and do the whole thing himself in his ever present notebook.  He always has a notebook in which he draws, writes stories, develops baseball teams' starting lineups, etc.  This time he took notes during the evening service.  

Below is a scanned copy of his notes.  While he did a very good job printing out each of the points (even adding an extra point for me!),  the thing I want to call to your attention is the "rating" scale at the bottom.  When I saw that, and which box was checked, I let out a big sigh of relief.  I guess I'd better be on my toes in the future!

PS - The note at the bottom is also a good sign.  He says the "notes" are things I need to fix.  Fortunately for this sermon, apparently it didn't need any "fixing."  Whew!

No comments: