For it is by grace you have been saved...

Friday, September 21, 2012

C of O, Hobby Lobby, and Other Constitutional Heroes

For the record, my daughter is a current student at College of the Ozarks (C of O), so I’m hardly unbiased/uninvolved in what follows here.  The college recently released a statement which begins:


On September 17, 2012, the 225th anniversary of the signing of the U.S. Constitution, College of the Ozarks sought to enforce its Constitutional rights by suing those federal agencies…tasked with implementation of the Affordable Care Act (“ObamaCare”).

I must say my heart soared with pride when I read that.  The statement goes on to outline the specific reasons for this action, which I strongly encourage you to read. (go here)

Then, I also read that Hobby Lobby, a Christian owned company, had likewise filed a suit over the impending ObamaCare and its requirement for employers to provide funding for contraceptives, abortions, etc.   Of course, the liberals are calling for boycotts, etc.   It seems that free speech and acting on your convictions is only allowed if you are liberal and support liberal causes.  All others, keep quiet or we’ll boycott you.

I must say I am proud of C of O and Hobby Lobby and the many others like them who are taking this action.  As the C of O website puts it:  The Constitution…It Matters.  

Our government is pushing harder and harder for more and more control of our lives.  Just witness the “sugary drink ban” going on in New York.  Now, we apparently want to the government to tell us how much soda we’re allowed to drink.

It’s getting out of hand, folks.  Call me Chicken Little, but the Constitutional sky really is falling.  Fewer and fewer people have even read the thing, let alone understand its principles.  Chief among them are the politicians who take an oath to support it, but then routinely trample it under foot.

I have no idea how these lawsuits from C of O and Hobby Lobby will turn out.  With the track record our justice system has of promoting the liberal agenda and “legislating from the bench” I don’t hold out much hope of true Constitutional justice.  Still, I have a great deal of respect for those who are making the effort to defend the Constitution and religious liberty.

And wouldn’t this be a good time to remind you once again of the Constitution Party.  All this is just one more example of how both Democrats and Republicans have completely lost touch with Constitutional reality and they need to be called on it.  The time has never been more right for a third party and so I’ll say once again, as I have many times, go to the party website, read the party platform, and then go and vote for presidential candidate Virgil Goode.

Then, run out to your local Hobby Lobby and buy up a bunch of stuff and let ‘em know you appreciate your stand.  I’m even going to wear my C of O hat when I go!  The Constitution…It Matters!!

No comments: