For it is by grace you have been saved...

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

God Is Still King

I’m writing this on Election Day to be posted on Wednesday.  I say that only to point out that as of right now, I have no idea who has won the election.  In fact, as this is posted in the morning, we may still not know!

Anyway, even though I am neither a prophet nor the son of a prophet, let me make this prognostication:  God is still on the throne!  I know some would like to overthrow Him.  I know some would vote Him out of office if they could.  Too bad, it’s not up to you!  He is King; always has been, always will be.

Furthermore, God is not sitting in heaven watching election returns anxiously awaiting the outcome of the US elections.  There was never a doubt in His mind.  Daniel (who was a prophet by the way) reminds us that “He changes times and seasons; he removes kings and sets up kings.” (Dan 2:21). 

Like it or not, kings and rulers, the good and the bad, rule only by the grace of God.  Jeremiah (another of those prophet guys) quotes God in Jeremiah 27:5 as saying,  "It is I who by my great power and my outstretched arm have made the earth, with the men and animals that are on the earth, and I give it to whomever it seems right to me.”

In the history of Israel, kings came and went; some good, most not so much.  Usually the people got the king they deserved.  We could say the same for our own nation.  We usually get the leadership we deserve.  

So, whomever has won, Obama or Romney or *gasp* by some miracle my man Virgil Goode; regardless, God is still in charge.  His plans for the earth are still moving forward.  His Son is still returning.  And our mandate to go and preach the gospel until that return is still in place.  Presidents and Princes come and go, but we still serve the King of kings and Lord of lords.  Let’s not lose sight of that.  Let’s not forget why we’re here.  

I hope you voted.  I hope you continue to be involved as a good citizen.  But remember where your true citizenship lies and give at least as much effort into sharing with others about the True King as you have promoting your political candidate.

God is still King.  And because of that there is hope regardless of who is in the White House.  To His name alone be all glory and praise and honor.  Now, let’s get back to business.  

----------------------
BTW, here are a couple good articles in the same vein by Stephen Altrogge and Shane Vander Hart

2 comments:

Mike said...

...can we rewind to Tuesday and give voters a second chance to get it right this time?

Well said, brother. God is definitely not anxious about what happens next. We can find peace in that!

Anonymous said...

I have recently stumbled upon your blog. This post is a most wonderful reminder that God is in control. I never really thought about your statement that we usually get the leadership we deserve until reading it today. It was one of those "aha" moments. Keep speaking the truth!