For it is by grace you have been saved...

Friday, November 6, 2015

Happy National Saxophone Day

National Saxophone Day!  Wow!  These holidays keep getting better and better (and the only thing I seem to be posting about these days...but I digress). 

For those who don't know, the saxophone was created in 1840 by Adolphe Sax, a Belgian musical instrument maker.  He actually invented 8 different sizes/types of sax: Sopranino, Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Baritone, Bass, Contrabass, and Subcontrabass.  Just a bit of history, there. 

I think I've mentioned here before that I used to be a bit of a sax player. Mostly the tenor variety.  Marching band, concert band, etc.  But I loved Jazz Band.  I even won the Louis Armstrong Jazz Award in high school and was voted Most Talented.  (Yeah, I'm still livin' off the past! Here I am with fellow MT recipient Laura Purcell)  
Here's a recording of our jazz band in 1982.  In addition to Frank's amazing trombone solo, and Kevin and Greg's lights out drum battle, this song features a freshman tenor sax player on the main melody trio (I think, with trumpet and flute).  You'll have to clink this link to open the page and play the song. Sorry, not computer savvy enough to figure it out.

My oldest son carried on the tradition, playing my tenor in the Play His Praises Homeschool Band.  He's even played for church a few times, as have I.  Neither of us are ever going to sell out concert halls, but here's a little lesson from this rambling post.

God gives all of us various gifts and abilities.  Music, writing, preaching, art, whatever.  Not all of us have the same level of ability, but all of us are called to use what God has given us for His glory.  He has given us so many wonderful gifts in this life, like Adolphe's sax (sorry for the bad play on words there).  I'm sure Mr. Sax had no idea what would be done with his little invention over the years; how many times that instrument would be used for the honor and glory of Christ.  Sometimes by professionals.  Sometimes by a father and son in the Ozarks who just love music and love Jesus and love it when the two come together.  Find what God has given you a love for and a talent for, no matter how small, and use it for His glory. 

Now, in a real celebration of the day, here are some amazing uses of this wonderful instrument.  This first one I've shared before.  It's a great rendition of "It Is Well", with a brilliant sax solo battle beginning about 1:50.

And here's one of my favorite sax players, Dave Thrush (once played with Steve Taylor & Some Band), doing a bit of seasonal music for us.

And one last bit from the guy who ranks way up on my top favorites, this from my favorite album of his.  Tom Scott from the Apple Juice record.

Enjoy Saxophone Day everyone.  Feel free to leave comments and links to videos of your own favorite sax player.

No comments: