For it is by grace you have been saved...

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Can This Blog Live Again?

The hand of the LORD was upon me, and he brought me out in the Spirit of the LORD and set me down in the middle of the valley; it was full of bones. And he led me around among them, and behold, there were very many on the surface of the valley, and behold, they were very dry. And he said to me, "Son of man, can these bones live?" And I answered, "O Lord GOD, you know."

Ezekiel 37:1-3 (ESV)

If ever there was a “valley of dry bones”, it would be this blog. Having be “closed temporarily” for the last 8 months, the dust is enough to choke a....well, to choke a person more than regular dust would. (That's a Tim Hawkins reference, for the uninitiated)
 
I'm not suggesting that this blog is equal to the exiled house of Israel, or that God will breath life into it as He sovereignly does into the dead hearts of lost sinners. But I do think it might take a miracle to get it going again.

Before the “break” I mentioned some of the things that led to it, and to this dry season. My degenerative eye condition has limited my reading, and quite frankly, less input means less output. Not that other people's words are the only thing that inspire, but reading good books (in addition to “The Good Book” of course) does oil the wheels of thought and creativity. That oil is still lacking.

Another issue, honestly, is a bit of a “dry season” in my own life. We've been serving the same church for over 13 years now. And while God is richly blessing, and we love and appreciate our church family so much, the truth is, I find myself getting into a bit of a rut. God has graciously been working on that element. And though I still have far to go, progress has been made.

The point is, I've come to think that maybe this is a case of “write until you've written something.” A. W. Tozer (and others) once said that when it comes to prayer, we have to pray until we've prayed. In other words, get down to business whether you feel like it or not, and eventually true prayer will be found. Another application of the principle has been made to love and marriage. To couples who struggle with “feeling” like they don't love, counselors have suggested “acting” like you love until the true love becomes real.

Anyway, I'm going to try to apply the principle by writing something on a regular basis in hopes that the “juices” will get flowing again. I'm not sure if anyone will rediscover this corner of the internet, and honestly I don't think I really care. This is for my own benefit; to get things going again; to exercise my mind; to force myself to think about things in order to write about them.

Obviously, there are no promises about the quality of the content to come. There never has been here, as any perusal of previous entries will confirm. But I do plan to begin posting again. But can this blog truly live again? “O Lord God, you know.”


No comments: