For it is by grace you have been saved...

Friday, March 2, 2012

Oh! What Grace!

But by the grace of God I am what I am. (1 Corinthians 15:10, ESV)

Oh my, what a statement. As I read through that passage this week for our daily readings, I was taken aback by the richness of the depth of information in that one little phrase.

It reminds me that I exist because of Him. His grace is my source of life. His grace sustains my life. His grace.

It reminds me that who and what I am is all because of His grace. Every experience that has shaped me, He has ordained. Every trial that has drawn me back to Him, is an act of His grace. Every blessing; His grace. He continues to mold and make me, and it’s all His grace.

It reminds me, simply of all that grace entails. Grace that gives me strength to live and breathe and serve Him. Grace that gives me hope for this world and the world to come. Grace that births me and redeems me. It’s all grace.

And knowing all that should lead me to such greater depths of humility, greater depths of gratitude, greater depths of compassion and hope for others, greater desires for service. It’s all of grace.

What a grace! All of grace! Spurgeon wrote that wonderful little book with that title reminding us that salvation is indeed “all of grace.” And as amazing as that is, it’s only part of the story. All of life is all of grace. All that I am, I am by the grace of God.

I think it’s a reminder we need often. All we have, we owe to Him. All we are, we owe to Him. What an amazing grace. I can’t help but think of this grand old verse by Horatius Bonar. I hope it moves you to worship our great God of grace today.

All that I was, my sin, my guilt, My death, was all mine own;
All that I am, I owe to Thee, My gracious God, alone.

The evil of my former state Was mine, and only mine;
The good in which I now rejoice Is Thine, and only Thine.

The darkness of my former state, The bondage – all was mine;
The light of life in which I walk, The liberty – is Thine.

Thy grace that made me feel my sin It taught me to believe;
Then, in believing, peace I found, And now I live, I live.

All that I am, e’en here on earth, All that I hope to be,
When Jesus comes and glory dawns, I owe it, Lord, to Thee.

Amen, and Amen. Soli Deo Gloria!

2 comments:

PaulandJen Dare said...

You are thrilling in worship as you contemplate what the Lord has done...I love it. Thanks for these encouraging reminders of God's grace to the saints.

Persis said...

Amen! Great words from Bonar too.