For it is by grace you have been saved...

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Here’s a “Flame” To Warm Up Your New Year

I know that not everyone shares my enthusiasm for Christian music. For some, the Christian element doesn’t excite them. For others, the rock music just doesn’t seem compatible with Christian faith, etc.

As I’ve said before, I’m one of those rather unique individuals in that I’m highly conservative and reformed in my doctrine and collect antique hymnals as part of my passion for church music. And yet at the same time I love Christian rock bands like Skillet, Newsboys, Decyfer Down, etc., etc. as well as an eclectic collection of other stuff.

On top of it all, I’ve developed a real taste for the rap/hip-hop of guys like Flame, Shai Linne, Json, and Lecrae. Actually, it was the sound lyrics that drew me in. As I’ve said before, there is more sound theology on a Flame CD than in many pulpits these days. (I’ve written about this before; you can go here or here if you are really that bored and need something to do.)

Anyway, all this is simply to say that I am absolutely loving the latest Flame CD, Captured. The whole concept is based on the idea that we are born into this life “captured” by sin and need to be captured again by the grace of God. Wonderful truth; great concept; lots of fun “raps and hooks.”

I know this isn’t for everyone. My own kids don’t even enjoy it as much as I do. I’ve just been very impressed with this young man’s passion for God, his commitment to sound doctrine, etc. Anyone who even can remotely tolerate this style of music will find a great blessing here (as well as in his previous releases).

Here’s a “promo” recorded for the release of the new CD, just in case you’re interested. End of commercial. (Think I can get any advertising dollars for this?)


No comments: