For it is by grace you have been saved...

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy Patrick's Day

There is quite a bit of Irish history in our family, on both sides. The most interesting that I know if is my great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather on my mom’s side, named James McGuire. Born in Dublin in 1734, he came to America and died in the Revolutionary War. In fact, he was killed at the battle of Blue Licks Spring, Kentucky in August of 1782; a battle considered the last official battle of that war. He died alongside Israel Boone, son of Daniel Boone. I thought it was interesting, anyway.

I’ve also always been a fan of the story of Patrick. Being a good Protestant, of course, we’ve shied away from the Catholic embellishments of the story; but the basic history of the man is quite interesting. And since he lived in the 5th Century, long before the Reformation, etc. he was simply part of “The Church” and so can be claimed by Catholic and Protestant (see the article below claiming he was a Baptist).

Anyway, enjoy the day. And enjoy these links with varying views and takes on the celebration of the man and the day.

Today I’m Wearing White

The Shield of St. Patrick

The Legacy of the Real St. Patrick

St. Patrick was a Baptist

Patrick, Missionary to Ireland

1 comment:

Gregg Metcalf said...

Interesting articles out there wouldn't you say? I can't find any evidence that Patrick was a Christian. All evidence I have found points to him being a priest in the Catholic regime.

I won't know until I get to heaven I guess.