For it is by grace you have been saved...

Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Prayer for My Heart - A Hymn

So, I had another of those nights where I just couldn't sleep.  As I often do, I got up and read a few psalms, and then felt led to put down a few words of my own.  Sometimes these come out better than others.  A few we actually end up singing at our church.  I'll have to wait and see on this one. 

I had in mind to write a Thanksgiving hymn, since we will be celebrating that tomorrow, after all.  But after the first few lines, the thing took on a different shape.  What I'm left with is a daily prayer for my own heart. 

Every day we need to be seeking God's grace for that day.  Asking for our hearts to be conformed to His image, according to His purpose, for His glory.  These words express a bit of that prayer for my heart.  I hope it might be some encouragement to someone else as well. 


Prayer for My Heart   

Give me a thankful heart, O Lord,
Show me what blessings are mine;
Grant that Your Name would be adored
For all Your mercies divine.

Give me a humble heart, O God,
Lead me away from my pride;
By grace I have been spared Your rod,
In love I’m drawn to Your side.

Give me a heart of prayer, my King,
Keep me ever on my knees;
Seeking Your will in everything,
Trusting in You for my needs.

Give me a servant’s heart, I plead,
Use me as Your hands and feet;
Reaching out to others in need,
Sharing Your grace so complete.

Give me a heart of worship, Lord,
Praising You for grace each day;
With all Your saints in one accord,
For Your glory, this I pray.

smw
11-25-20


No comments: