For it is by grace you have been saved...

Thursday, December 3, 2020

12 Days of Drummer Boy - Day 1

 Over the years, some of my favorite arrangements have been of one of the least biblical Christmas songs.  There was obviously no Little Drummer Boy at the nativity.  Cute story for a claymation holiday special, but it just ain't in there.

And yet, as I've collected all these Christmas projects over time, our favorite bands and artists adding to the mega pile of Christmas music out there, it surprises me how often their arrangements of Drummer Boy end up being my favorite. 

I'll confess, in my Christmas collection of MP3s, I even have one folder that is nothing but Drummer Boy.  I never said I was normal.  

So, I thought I'd share my fascination with this song with the world.  Between now and Christmas I'll be posting the Twelve Days of Drummer Boy.  I was going to do the twelve days right before the big day, but I knew I would probably miss a day or two.  So I thought I'd get a little head start.

Day One is way out there.  Back in the 80s there was a Christmas project put out called Yo Ho Ho.  It was a collection of songs from 80s hip hop artists like Stephen Wiley, Transformation Crusade, and of course DC Talk. 

The Drummer Boy was offered by E.T.W. (End Time Warriors).  We actually saw this group in concert, opening for another band.  They never became as big as the DC Talk guys, but they held their own for awhile.  And this arrangement is just downright fun.  Enjoy. 



No comments: