For it is by grace you have been saved...

Tuesday, December 22, 2020

12 Days of Drummer Boy - Day 11

When I started this little 12 day project, I confessed that I actually have a play list with nothing but various arrangements of Little Drummer Boy.  Yes, I know that seems obsessive.  But if you've been following along, you will admit that many of these arrangements are so different, that it's not really like listening to the same song.  Anyway...

When I shared my playlist with my wife, her only response was to say, "There only needs to be two songs on it."  And when I showed her these posts, she kept saying "there only needs to be two songs and you haven't done either of them."  I kept telling her to be patient, because we would eventually get there. 

In truth, it's easy for me to decide which two arrangements of this song should be at the top.  These last two, are in my opinion, by far the best.  Number one is far and away the best.  But first, the runner up. 

Some years ago we attended WinterJam (a amazing conglomeration of a wide variety of Christian bands/artists on tour together, though I admit the older tours were better) and one of the "opening acts" was a relatively little known band fronted by two brothers.  In fact, they were the little brothers of one of our daughter's favorite artists, Rebecca St. James.  Little did we know at the time what For King and Country would become. 

Fast forward several years and FK&C is a huge success, and they put out this live Christmas record which is just amazing.   If you have ever seen this band in concert, you know how appropriate it is for them to do Drummer Boy, and this immediately became a favorite.

Let me specify, though, that this is the live version.  Just this year the band put out a studio Christmas project with many of the same songs, and while they are mostly the same arrangements, I'm just not as "moved" but it.  Drummer Boy, in particular, lacks the "umph" of the live version.

So, here at last is one of the two versions approved by my wife.  Check back tomorrow for the all time greatest version.  



No comments: