For it is by grace you have been saved...

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Remember the Sabbath

One of the issues our family has struggled with over the years is the idea of "keeping the Sabbath." What exactly does it mean? Is it still necessary for New Testament believers? How much emphasis should it get? How much should we encourage others to do likewise? And so on.

Recently, I read a fairly short, to the point and helpful article on this over at the reformation21.org site. It was written by Rick Phillips, senior minister of Second Presbyterian Church in Greenville, S.C., . I would encourage you to read this post on Advice for Sabbath-keeping.

I know this will not answer any and all questions. I know I still have some examination to do on the issue myself, but I find myself leaning more and more toward agreement with Phillips and others in this camp. You may disagree, but I hope you'll at least take time to read the article, read the Scriptures he cites and prayerfully considering remembering the Sabbath more faithfully.

6 comments:

Frances Clements said...

I grew up with Sabbath being an Old Testament thing that didn't apply, but I have moved away from that some. I would say that in America the biggest hurdle is just stopping being busy and relax in the Lord for a day. As a mother with two small children, I sometimes have difficulty seeing going to church as equivilant to resting. It is a realatively high stress thing to get everyone ready to go somewhere early in the morning. At our church there are morning and afternoon services that are all the same. It is such a blessing to be able to go to church in the afternoon. Much more restful when we can get out of bed whenever. Anyway, thanks for posting about this.

Anonymous said...

Is Sunday a Christian Sabbath day--is a big question.

The problem comes when others try to decide for you what you should and shouldn't do after Sunday morning worship. Is it OK to eat out? Is it OK to wash your car? Can you go fishing with your son? Can you attend a sports event?

Scott said...

My wife would agree about the rest part of Sunday AM. The afternoon idea is interesting, but as a Pastor, that would cut into my nap time!
Anon hit the nail on the head. Becoming legalistic is the problem. And the question is: is Sunday a Christian Sabbath. Technically, no. And yet, sabbath keeping is one of the big ten. So if we are going to hold to the "intent" and "principle" of the other 9 (understanding we are not under law but under grace) should we not also hold to the "intent" and "principle" of a one day in seven set aside for rest and the things of God?

As you can see, I'm still struggling with some issues. I appreciate your comments.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Scott... here are a couple of good aticles
Check out http://www.ratzlaf.com/
http://www.biblebb.com/files/MAC/90-223.htm

Anonymous said...

Thanks again, anon. Those are helpful for combating legalism. My question still is the "intent" of the command, not the letter. There is no strict "sabbath" under the New Covenant. But the principle of one in seven is based on creation itself, not the covenants, new or old. So how do we best honor the one in seven principle? That's the question.

Again, I abhor the legalism. I'm not going to stand up and tell anyone, "You can do this, you can't do that." But for me and for my family, how do we best honor the one in seven principle in a way that glorifies Christ.

Anonymous said...

As a pastor, you could make Saturday a day rest with your family... without abiding by the OT laws regarding it...