For it is by grace you have been saved...

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Homeschooler Moment #6

I’m not sure this is really just a homeschooler moment, though I guess it does reflect on the education we are providing.

Our family was playing a game of Apples to Apples. If you’ve not played it, it’s a word association game, where everyone has 7 cards with nouns on them. In this “Bible” version, those words are things like “Temple, Passover, Angel of Death, Abraham, The Trinity, etc.” Then we all take turns drawing a card with an adjective on it: Rich, Colorful, Huge, Patient, etc. And each person submits a noun card they think best goes with that description. Sometimes they really go together, other times it’s just for a laugh (like the “My Mind” card played for the word “Colorful”.) OK, got it?

So, the word is “Smelly.” The card also gives synonyms: stinky, bad odor, foul. So all the cards are in, and our daughter starts reading off the choices we’ve submitted: Sin, Heresy, Beggars, Rabbis… Wait a minute. I stop the game. We’ve never encouraged any sort of anti-semitism, so I ask “Rabbis?!” (I’m a preacher; I’m good with words and phrasing). My six year old looks at me with this look like “Duh, it’s so obvious.” And he says with great exaggeration, “You know…when they burp!”

Well, now you know the level of education we are providing in our home. Pray for us!

No comments: