For it is by grace you have been saved...

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Do You Desire God?

My Sunday School class has been studying 2nd Corinthians. Recently we spent some time talking about what it means to truly be born again, the new creation Paul speaks of in chapter 5. At the same time, on Wednesday nights, we've been using Don Whitney's 10 Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health. Actually, this is the second time we've gone through this, but you go to your doctor more than once every five years, right? Anyway, among the diagnosis questions is: Do you thirst for God?

These two things together reminded me of a short piece from Paul Washer on true Christians having a passion for God. This is a marker of sorts. To be truly born again isn't just a moralistic change of behavior, it is a whole new set of motivations, actions, thoughts, etc. all focused on God and His glory. Do you thirst after God? Another question in Whitney's book: Are you more sensitive to God's presence.

In light of all of that, I showed this to our class on Sunday, and it's been sticking in my mind, so I thought I would post it here for anyone who may not have seen it. If you're interested, you can find this and many more like-minded teachings at IllBeHonest.com


1 comment:

Alex said...

Hey Scott - thanks for the post. I came across this the other morning, after praying the night before for God to increase my desire for Him. It lined up affirming what He was already telling me in His Word that morning. Seek Him and trust that He will fan the desire to know Him more. He will move to draw me into a deeper awe struck wonder of who He is and experience the power of the marvelous mysteries that are in Christ - mine is to just keep my eyes on Him and wait on Him - and that need not be a long wait, as in this case it was only a peaceful night sleep away. I posted about how God answered my prayer as an encouragement for any that would read it and more so as a journal entry to honor and thank God for His faithfulness. In the blog entry I put a link to yours, if any would come read mine, than they could find yours too ... the entry is at http://abandonedtowheregraceabounds.blogspot.com/2011/11/wherever-you-may-go-be-encouraged_04.html.

God's blessings to you and your family!