For it is by grace you have been saved...

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Why I Believe in the Resurrection

In the last few days/weeks I’ve read several articles, heard some sermons with this title. Some are better than others. Given the time of year and all, I thought maybe I’d give it a shot as well.

I’ve studied long and hard, prayed fervently, sought truth and wisdom, and in the end this is why I believe in the Resurrection:

Because It’s True!

I believe in the sun because it’s there. I believe in air because I breathe it. I would be foolish to deny things that are so evident, so important for life. So why should I not believe in the Resurrection of Christ? It’s true, it’s necessary, it’s life giving, it’s experiential, it’s proven by the evidence. Basically, it’s foolishness not to believe.

And acknowledging the Truth has amazing impact. Consider the words of John Bunyan in his autobiographical Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners.

Methought I saw with great evidence, from the relation of the four evangelists, the wonderful work of God, in giving Jesus Christ to save us, from his conception and birth even to his second coming to judgment, Methought I was as if I had seen him born, as if I had seen him grow up, as if I had seen him walk through this world, from the cradle to his cross; to which, also, when he came, I saw how gently he gave himself to be hanged and nailed on it for my sins and wicked doings. Also, as I was musing on this, his progress, that dropped on my spirit, He was ordained for the slaughter (1 Peter 1:19,20).

When I have considered also the truth of his resurrection, and have remembered that word, "Touch me not, Mary," &c., I have seen as if he leaped at the grave's mouth for joy that he was risen again, and had got the conquest over our dreadful foes (John 20:17). I have also, in the spirit, seen him a man on the right hand of God the Father for me, and have seen the manner of his coming from heaven to judge the world with glory, and have been confirmed in these things by these scriptures following, Acts 1:9, 10, 7:56, 10:42; Hebrews 7:24, 8:3; Revelation 1:18; 1 Thessalonians 4:17, 18.

When he considered the truth of the resurrection. It’s true. As is the rest of God’s Word. If you choose not to believe, I can’t convince you of it any more than I can argue with the man who denies the sun, air, gravity, etc. You believe it, or you don’t, but it doesn’t change the truth of it.

I truly hope you believe, and more than believe you are placing your own life, your hope of eternity in Christ and His resurrection. May His truth continue to shine brightly for His glory.

No comments: