For it is by grace you have been saved...

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Sad and Speechless

By now most of you are no doubt aware of the "statement" made by a handful of people claiming to represent all traditional Southern Baptists.  Aside from the fact that they don't, by far, and that this statement is nothing but a straw man to build division, I don't know what the point is. 

I have been trying to decide what I want to say in response to this, but right now I'm just sad and speechless.  This statement is historically and biblically inaccurate, mean-spirited and just plain divisive.  I don't know what these folks are after.  I guess it's just part of that depraved sinful nature that makes us like to stir things up.  Oh, wait, I'm sorry.  I guess my "calvinist" beliefs colored my thinking.  Maybe they aren't really depraved after all. 

Anyway, I may still come up with something worthwhile to say about all this.  In the meantime, here are some good words from our friend Gregg at Gospel Driven Disciples.

2 comments:

Gregg Metcalf said...

Thanks for the link. I was truly interested in your response. Hope your "speechlessness" turns to a profound evaluation of what this means for the church today.

Kevin Sorensen said...

Scott, it's saddened me, and I'm not even a Baptist, let alone a Southern Baptist. Tom Ascol, over at Founder's Ministries Blog has been posting some good insight's regarding this. I don't know if you're familiar with him and his blog. Here's the url for the first of several posts he has and will yet make on the matter: