For it is by grace you have been saved...

Monday, January 7, 2013

Old Rock Day

Just learned on my calendar of important holidays that today is Old Rock Day.  I must say, I'm very excited about this day.  Being a lover of old rock, I was overjoyed to know that there's a whole day dedicated to celebrating it and I wanted to share it with you. 

Of course, as a Christian, my listening habits have modified over the years.  And I guess that "old" is a relative term.  So for this celebration I'll focus on the "old" days when I was working in Christian radio: the mid 80s.  Bands like Petra, Whiteheart, Degarmo & Key, Resurrection Band were all on the scene in those days.  Great times.

I remember taking my then-fiance to see Whiteheart on their Don't Wait for the Movie tour.  Here's a great video from that concert featuring a drum (Chris McHugh) and bass (Tommy Sims) solo followed by the great classic Dr. Jekyll, Mr. Christian (featuring awesome guitar solo by Gordon Kennedy):

Ah, those were the good old days.

Wait a minute...I'm getting a message...

Oh, um, I think I've made a mistake.  According the official important holiday site, Old Rock Day is actually "an opportunity to enjoy and appreciate old rocks and fossils."  They meant rock, rock day; not rock-n-roll rock day.  Uh, sorry about that. 

But hey, according to my kids, Whiteheart would fit into the category of "fossils" so I guess this still counts.  So find some old rocks, or some old rock songs, and enjoy Old Rock Day.  Just don't become a fossil yourself!

No comments: