For it is by grace you have been saved...

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Declaring the Glory of God

It’s pretty obvious that I haven’t posted in over a week.  From my last post, it should also be obvious why.  I went into the desert to get a word from God.  OK, so I did go into the desert…New Mexico and Arizona.  And though I didn’t go to “get a word from God”, the truth is I did learn some amazing things, or rather was reminded of several things.

For one, I was reminded how the earth truly does declare the glory of God.  Driving nearly 3,000 miles in 8 days, we saw a lot of nature. A lot.  Miles and miles.  Hours and hours.  Are we there yet?

Seriously, we saw some beautiful and amazing things.  The hills of the Ozarks which gave way to the prairies of Texas and the mesas and desert beauty of New Mexico and Arizona.  Then from the majestic view of Humphrey’s Peak in Flagstaff to the awe inspiring vistas of the Grand Canyon.



How can anyone see these things and not be lead to praise and glorify the creator whose hand is behind it all?  Well that’s the second thing I was reminded of.  I was reminded that sin clouded eyes are blinded to this.
Nowhere was that more apparent than in the “scientific” descriptions around the grand canyon.  All the little postings in and around the canyon spoke of “millions of years” and “natural progression” and on and on.  Right in front of them is the evidence of an amazing Creator and a great flood which carved this canyon and laid down layer after layer of sedimentary proof in rapid fashion; yet all they see is the lens of their own evolutionary myopia.  I’m caught between praise to God for allowing me the grace to see His hand, and pity for those who see nothing but random chance.

Finally, I was reminded that while the heavens and the earth declare God’s glory, I often do not.  Scripture reminds us how day and night the heavens declare His praise, how the whole earth is full of His glory.  Day and night for all of history, this canyon has pointed to the grandeur of our God.  And yet, man, made in the very image of God, fails to see, fails to speak, fails to give God the glory due His name.  How sad.
Even those of us who have been given eyes to see and hearts to love and mouths to praise Him…how often are we silent?   And how many men and women around us are continuing in their own blindness to God’s glory because we are not speaking of it? 

And so my trip to the desert was profitable.  I was given a fresh view of God’s glory in His creation, and I was reminded again of my need to imitate His handiwork by never ceasing to praise and glorify His name.  And may He use me, as well as that handiwork, to draw others into praising His name as well.   

1 comment:

Gregg Metcalf said...

Great post brother! You are so correct; there is nothing like taking a cross-country drive. One cannot miss the handiwork of our glorious God.Glad you had a good time - although it is a sin, I envied you a bit. Glad you were kept safe. Great pics by the way!