For it is by grace you have been saved...

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Geek Moment #1

The last few posts have been a little more serious/intense, so I thought I’d lighten things up.  I thought about doing a “Homeschooler Moment” since I haven’t in awhile, but this turned out to be less of a homeschool specific thing and more of just a Geek thing.

That’s right, our homeschool has produced a family of Geeks.  Star Trek, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Narnia, Superheroes, etc.  Books, movies, games, we have it all. (Though I will mention in our defense that when it comes to Tolkien, we require reading the books before they can see the movies.  That’s a little better, right?)

Anyway, one of our Geekdoms involves Doctor Who, that 50 year old British Sci-fi show about a time traveler and his faithful companions.  If you don’t know it, I really can’t explain it here.  (Actually, the Doctor will get a mention again in a re-post planned for this Saturday.  We’ll call this Geek Week).

One episode involves the Doctor meeting Vincent Van Gogh and produced a fan favorite painting of an exploding TARDIS (that’s the name of the Doctor’s time machine, Time and Relative Dimension in Space).  Well, I’m geeky enough to have an Exploding Tardis rug on my floor, which is the set up for this little Geek Moment.  (Boy this is taking longer than I thought to explain)

Shift a bit.  Our youngest daughter has been teaching tricks to our dog.  When she gets excited (the dog, not the daughter) she starts spinning in circles.  My daughter thought it would be fun to get the dog to do this on command.  Ahh, but what command words should we use?  Spin?  Circles?  Go crazy? 

It was then that she realized that the dog is spinning right on top of my Exploding Tardis rug.  And the command word hit her.  So, when we want to watch our dog go crazy in circles, we just command, “Tardis!”  And here is the result.

OK, so I’ve been bored lately.  And you must be too if you’ve continued reading this far.  But we thought it was great.  A dog that goes crazy when she hears “Tardis.”  Gotta love it.  I know our other Geek friends do.

Well, I’ll give you fair warning.  As I said, I’m planning a re-post on Saturday, and it’s Geeky, too.  So if you can’t handle the Geek, avoid it.  For now I’ll leave you with one of my favorite Fourth Doctor quotes which explains my maturity level quite a bit: "There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."

No comments: