For it is by grace you have been saved...

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Goodbye, GOP

Well, as much as it breaks my heart, it looks like I will officially NOT be voting for the Republican presidential candidate this year. For those living in caves who haven't heard (of for those who have just lost interest) Mike Huckabee has officially pulled out of the GOP nomination process.

This puts me, and millions of other God-fearing conservatives, in a very difficult spot. For years I have told friends, family and church members alike that as long as the GOP stands on godly principles, I will be a Republican. But when the party deserts those principles, I'll desert the party.

Since it now seems that John McCain will be the Republican nominee, and since so many GOP leaders were determined to shove the man down our throats and totally dismiss the concerns of the genuine conservatives being represented by Huckabee, that day may have finally arrived.

I recently signed a pledge with Focus on the Family stating that I would only vote for candidates who consistently stand for the sanctity of life, the sanctity of marriage, and the freedom to exercise our religious liberty. Unfortunately, John McCain's past actions will keep me from voting for him if I am to remain faithful to that pledge.

I hate to try and recreate the work of others, so I would encourage you to read Rod Albert's blog entry on the GOP situation, which does an excellent job of reminding us of why it is difficult if not impossible for Christians to support McCain. He simply does not stand for what we stand for.

In fact, I'll not only honor my pledge to FoF, but I will encourage you to join me in signing the pledge as well. I wonder what would happen if all the genuinely Christian folks in this nation actually stood up, refused to give into the "electabilty" bandwagon, and truly voted their conscience. How long would it take for the Republican Party to see just how desperately they need genuine conservatives? And since they've decided to thumb their noses at us, they are about to find out with at least this one voter.

I haven't decided exactly what I'll do yet. My options are to vote for a third party candidate who does fit the standard of that pledge, or to simply write in the name of someone like, I don't know, say Mike Huckabee. There we go. Let's start a write in campaign! Wouldn't that be something. Millions of write in votes for Mike Huckabee. Now that might just send a message to the good 'ol boys that they might actually get.

In the meantime, I will pray fervently for our nation. If the choice is between McCain and Clinton/Obama, there isn't much hope for the moral integrity of our land.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scott,
Without acrimony, I want to urge you to rethink your position. Certainly, your criticism of McCain's moral positions are justified. However, presidential elections are about electing people, not just voting for people. A vote for anyone outside of the two major parties accomplishes nothing. NOTHING. You will not send a signal to anyone by ignoring one of these two major candidates. However, if you vote for McCain and he is elected (and I pray so), then you have the leverage of the conservative base in the Republican party to actually try to bring some influence to his moral decisions. If you throw your vote away on some insignificant candidate in the name of conscience, you solidify the chances of electing someone who has zero regard for the conservative position. As for me and my house, we will vote for the candidate who has the most chance of being elected and the most chance of actually listening to conservatives. I shudder to think of a government led by Hillary Clinton.
Blessings!
Greg

Rod said...

Yikes. And Greg is conservative? Sadly, he reflects so many--even those of the Christian-Right. I guess Rick Warren and Company have not only affected our theology, but our political philosophy as well. Conviction and conscience be damned! Pragmatism and utilitarianism are the motto now.

Stop Hillary and Obama. Elect a guy who will only partially destroy our nation. McCain will only slightly arouse the wrath of God...Hillabama will bring it down fully!!!

I dropped over to say maybe the GOP exit is too hasty...now I'm thinking we should of left years ago.

Oh well, at least we've got each other (hug,hug).

Anonymous said...

Greg,
I hear your heart, brother, but I have to disagree. If the GOP wins this election it will only embolden them to further disregard conservatives. Their thinking will be "we can win without them, we don't need them." Where will our influence be then. And furthermore, McCain has clearly shown that he will NOT listen to conservative concerns, so what makes him any different than Clinton/Obama. I don't see much difference. As for "throwing a vote away," that may be, but I can't in good conscience vote FOR a man who is clearly opposed to much of what I believe in. That makes me responsible for him, and I just can't do that. Also, I have to be faithful to the pledge I've made, even if only me and God know about it. And McCain doesn't fit the criteria. Sorry. Love ya anyway, brother.

Anonymous said...

Rod,
Glad I could help push you over the edge! Greg means well, and if it's the Greg I'm thinking of, his good theology will make up for his bad politics (just funnin', Greg).

And you're right, pragmatism is god for most. It's that way in politics, it's more and more that way in the church, and I fear it will get worse before it gets better (guess that means I can't be a postmillennialist, huh?)

Frances Clements said...

I am in the same boat as you. I cannot vote for the lesser of two evils this November. Even my mom (who I don't think has ever voted anything but republican), refuses to vote for McCain.