For it is by grace you have been saved...

Monday, January 11, 2010

New Year’s Miscellany

Eleven days in is hardly on the cutting edge of the new year and all, but I’ve never been accused of being out in front of anything, except maybe the buffet line. Anyway, here are some stray thoughts about the upcoming year and some of my plans (as I continue under the delusion that anyone really cares…)

Reading List
In the past I had kept a log of all the books I had been reading. I’ve noticed that in the last couple of years since not keeping that log, my reading habits have become decidedly too entertainment oriented.

To get myself back on track a bit, I’m going to start keeping that written log again. Seems like if I see it in writing before me I take it a bit more seriously. First up on that list to tackle are books from Al Mohler, Mark Dever, John MacArthur and the DeYoung and Kluck combo; along with Puritans Thomas Vincent and John Owen.

The Health Issue
I know, I know, everyone does the weight loss thing for New Years. But I’ve become more and more convicted about the issue of my health as it relates to my witness and my family activity. I’m going to team up with an “accountability partner” to start getting that exercise in. We’ll see how that goes.

The D. Min. Thing
I’ve been finished with the course work for my doctoral program for over a year and just need to do the whole project/dissertation thing. Long story, but the end result has been a decided lack of motivation to finish this thing. I don’t want to waste the time and effort put in this far, so I’m asking for prayer to get on top of this and see it through. Get it done, Scott!

Family Vacation
With our oldest preparing to go away to college, this may be the last opportunity we have to take a real family vacation. We seem to always end up doing mission trips and conferences, etc. which we’ve all enjoyed, but this year I’d love for us to do a real live family vacation; just heading out somewhere for fun, etc. Hoping to plan a trip eastward toward the DC area with a stop off at the Creation Museum near Cincinnati, something the kids are dying to see. I will plan and complete this, God-willing.

Just A Side Note
Go Cardinals! A long time fan of Kurt Warner, I’m thrilled to see the Cards on their way again this year. The road ahead is steep and daunting, but I know they can do it. Let’s go Big Red!

1 comment:

Frances Clements said...

I think a real family vacation is so worth it. We took our fist one around Christmas. It was such a blessing.