For it is by grace you have been saved...

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Figthing Procrastination - the Rest of the Story

As you may have heard, Thursday was “Fight Procrastination Day.”  I was going to post all this then, but I didn't get around to it.  No, seriously, I sort of waited on purpose because if I had actually done a post on procrastination on the scheduled day, I would have lost my membership to the Procrastination Society.  This is a big deal for me, because as far as I can figure it, there are only two members in this prestigious group.  Here's the true story.

In college, my roommate Bob was doing a little research in the library, reading through some old magazines (this was before the internet, folks).  He came across an ad in one magazine for joining a Procrastination Society (I forget the actual name, sorry).  This was about 1986, and the magazine was dated 1983. 

He showed it to me, and having joked about our own procrastination problems before, we thought it would be some fun to send in a three year old ad for a Procrastination Society.  We thought we could make a copy of it, send it in with the date on the magazine and all, and wait for the laughs to begin.  Good joke, right?

Now, here's the honest truth about how things turned out.  We never got around to sending the thing in!  Seriously.  We talked about it more than once, really intended to do it, but just never got around to it.  Therefore, we figure that this means we are the only two “real” members of the Procrastination Society.  I mean, if you get around to joining, you sort of disqualify yourself, right? 

Now you know why I couldn't possibly post on procrastination until at least two days after the scheduled day; even if the day was intended to fight procrastination.  Some things are worth fighting for, and some aren’t I guess.

So here's to me and Bob, the only two official procrastinators we know of.  Of course, if you have a similar story, I’d love to hear it and make you a member, too…if you ever get around to telling me about it!

No comments: