For it is by grace you have been saved...

Saturday, June 7, 2014

Homeschooler Moment #19

Physics according to a 9-year-old.

So, I took him to a Kid's Fishing Day event.  He has fun around the lake (with all 150,000 other people throwing hooks around) and actually snags a fish...almost.  First cast out, a fish grabs hold and he reels it in.  But the volunteer tying hooks on he kids' poles had been a little lax, and the hook actually came off the line and the fish gets away. 

Anyway, he's not too shaken up, continues to fish for awhile and then goes to do some of the other activities, including a "bounce house."  It's a hot muggy day, and after standing in the sun I'm thinking the last thing I want to do is climb into a hot, plastic, enclosed bubble powered by hot air.  But he likes it. 

Afterward, I ask him about the day, and he tells me how much fun he had.  I asked about the bounce house, and he says "yeah, that really cooled me off."  I said, "????"  He says, "yeah, I got hot by the lake, but in the bounce house it cooled me off."  I asked how that worked.

He says, "When you're going up the air is blowing down, and when you're going down the air is blowing up, so it cools you off."

There you have it.  Physics according to a 9-year-old.  Who says we homeschoolers can't do the higher subjects!

No comments: