For it is by grace you have been saved...

Tuesday, November 3, 2020

I Voted...Now What?

 It's Election Day in these here United States.  After what has been the most contentious campaign cycle in my lifetime (though maybe not all time), folks all over the country are standing in lines, exercising their American right and responsibility. Tens of thousands have already cast their vote in early, mail in voting.

Some have said the "soul of the nation" is on the line in this election.  Maybe.  I would think the soul of the nation is more the purview of the Church in America, but that's a whole other post.  I don't deny that there are major differences between the two major parties, as well as the various "third party" platforms.  I have strong feelings about many of those things, and will gladly share them with anyone who asks. 

But I'm writing this long before any of the results of this particular election are known so that what I say here doesn't seem to be gloating if you think my candidate wins, or sour grapes if you think my candidate lost.  The truth is, I've not voted for a major party presidential candidate is some time, so...

Here's the point.  As an American, I am thankful for the freedoms we enjoy.  And I certainly have my opinions about which candidates will support those freedoms, and which ones would rather work to see them deteriorate.  But in the end, my allegiances in life are not changed. 

Primarily because while I am an American, and proud to be so, I am the citizen of another Kingdom.  As such, my hope is not in this world.  My hope is not in a president or political policy.  My hope is not therefore dashed when my political opinions are opposed or even defeated.  My hope is in my King, and King Jesus still reigns regardless of who sits in the White House, or Governor's Mansion, etc.  

Here's the bottom line:

The early Church survived Nero.

The English Church survived Queen Mary.

The German Church survived Hitler. 

The Chinese Church survived Mao Zedong.

The American Church even survived Obama (sorry, couldn't resist).

So, the Church will survive either another four years of Trump, or the Presidency of Harris...I mean Biden.   

Please don't misunderstand.  I'm not saying we should not be involved.  We should.  I'm not even saying we shouldn't go out and voice our opinions, support our candidates, etc.  We should.  It's our right and our responsibility as good citizens of this great land.  In the end, however, if Christians say our hope is in Christ alone, we should live like it.  We shouldn't act like everything comes down to this election.  I know our freedoms as Christians may be affected by the political future, but we know that our future is still in the hands of our Sovereign King who rules over the nations, causes kings and presidents to rise and fall, all according to His plan, all for His glory.  

So go vote.  Thank God for that privilege.  Then go home and trust in your King to work things according to His will.

Now, as a little added bonus, here's a song from one of my favorite song writers, Ross King, who expresses what many of us have felt in recent years with our frustration in the political world.  Enjoy.  

A Better Country
Ross King/Paul Duncan


I wish that I could choose a side
Set my feet on party lines,
follow them with peace of mind
Wherever they go
It would be much easier
If You would tell me, word for word
Who to bless and what to curse
And how to cast my vote
Cause I believe without a doubt
That either side would sell You out
If they thought You were dragging down their ratings
I will not align myself
With whitewashed tombs and sons of hell
Who’s gods of  war and power and wealth are fading

Here I am, like Abraham
I long for home, a place I know
Is so far from me
And on this earth, a foreigner
With eyes above, dreaming of
A better country

I wish that I could find a thread
Clearly marked in blue or red
Directing this conflicted head
Toward something close to truth
But all I see are warning signs
And hastily drawn battle lines
Where hearts are swapped for crooked spines
And nothing points to You
Cause all my life I was so sure
That on our side, we had the cure
Our words were true, our motives pure and righteous
But now I’m seeing to my shame
That right and righteous aren’t the same
And what if God Himself is not behind us

I’m going to the city, that my faith-fathers sought
It’s foundations are sturdy, cause it’s builder is God
In the bright sky above it, there is no moon or sun
The Lord is its light, no darkness or night shall ever come

No comments: