For it is by grace you have been saved...

Wednesday, December 23, 2020

12 Days of Drummer Boy - Day 12

 Well, here we are.  As I said in the last post, as far as my wife is concerned, there are only two versions of this song that even matter; these last two.  And this one is unparalleled. 

After Petra, the first band I latched on to after becoming a Christian was White Heart.  I bought their debut record, then saw them on the Vital Signs tour in '84, and the fandom was on.  I think they really hit their "groove" once Rick Florian came onboard as lead singer, but I enjoy all the various lineups.  I love the layered vocal style and their classic 80s/90s rock sound. 

In 1988, Sparrow Records put out a Christmas compilation record with their "stars" of the day.  Some are names folks would still recognize today, a couple, not so much.  If you really want something different check out Steve Taylor's mariachi band arrangement of "Winter Wonderland". 

But on that release, the White Heart rendition of Little Drummer Boy was destined for greatness.  I played that song over and over, and still do.  Even our kids pretty much don't think it's really Christmas until we've heard White Heart's Drummer Boy.  

So, if you actually followed this entire 12 post series, congratulations. (And, honestly, maybe you need to get a hobby or something).  But here is your reward.  The greatest version of this song ever.  The chord they hit at about 3:06 still gives me chills.  In fact, those layered vocals I mentioned from about 2:13 on are just amazing.  As an added bonus, the video here is one posted by Saxon Lights who do those fun Christmas light shows to songs.  Enjoy. And Merry Christmas!



No comments: