For it is by grace you have been saved...

Tuesday, December 8, 2020

12 Days of Drummer Boy - Day 3

 As I continue to share about my obsession with this Christmas song (well, maybe not "obsession", but certainly "passionate appreciation"), I'll move on to one with some family memories attached.  

Back in the day, as they say, our family really enjoyed the band Jars of Clay.  In particular was a song called "Flood."  The chorus has a repeated line saying "lift me up."  When our kids were much younger, and much smaller, and I had much more energy; we would listen to that song and when that line came along, the kids would get thrown into the air by dear old dad. 

In later years, I was a bit disappointed when the band felt the need to "distance" themselves from evangelical Christianity.  Then there was the big kerfuffle when the lead singer made some public remarks regarding Scripture not having authority on the issue of same-sex marriage.  I really won't go into all the point-counterpoint stuff that happened after all that. I'll leave it with "I was a bit disappointed."

Nevertheless, this 1995 release of their arrangement of Drummer Boy is still on my "favorites list."  Hope you enjoy.



No comments: