For it is by grace you have been saved...

Saturday, December 12, 2020

12 Days of Drummer Boy - Day 6

 When I first came to Christ, I knew I had to make a change in my music listening habits.  At first I was a bit concerned, because much of what I heard from the Christian market wasn't quite my "style."  Then I heard a little band called Petra.  

I saw Petra the first time in 1983 during the Not of This World tour, and it was a defining moment for me.  Not only was it one of the first dates with Cheryl, my now wife of 30+ years; but it started a life long passion for Christian rock music, even leading me to work in Christian radio for awhile.  It influenced not only me, but my kids after me.

To say I was disappointed when Greg X. Volz decided to leave the band is an understatement.  I just didn't see how Petra could go on with out that distinctive voice.  And honestly, it took me awhile to warm up to this guy named John Schlitt.  But warm up I did, and I have not only loved his work with Petra, but his subsequent solo projects as well.  

(Side note, Petra concerts have been a family affair, from that first one in '83, to taking our older kids to the Farewell Tour in 2005, and then just recently taking my youngest to see the Reunion Tour.  And the whole family considers those concerts a highlight.  But I digress...)

One of John Schlitt's solo works was a Christmas album a few years back.  Since it's release, it has found a regular place in my Christmas playlist.  His version of Handel's "Hallelujah Chorus" is worth the price of the cd.  What a voice!  I could go on all day about my love for all things Petra...

Anyway, here is the arrangement of Drummer Boy from that album, featuring those classic Schlitt vocals.  And stay tuned for the top half of my list...



No comments: