For it is by grace you have been saved...

Saturday, December 5, 2020

12 Days of Drummer Boy - Day 2

 As I said in the previous post, I have what might be considered an unhealthy fascination with one of the least biblical Christmas songs ever.  The Little Drummer Boy may not be in the Bible, but he's been in my list of favorite songs for a long time.

From one of the older arrangements by E.T.W, I move to one of the newer arrangements in my collection.  Marc Martel entered our home through his band Downhere.  Their "Christmas Song" How Many Kings is a real gem.  Our youngest daughter was a big fan, and after that band faded out, and Marc started doing solo stuff, we kept following. 

Long before he became well known for looking and sounding like Freddie Mercury in Queen tribute bands, we appreciated Marc's talents.  In fact, I took the aforementioned daughter on a three hour trip to catch Mr. Martel doing a solo gig at a club in St. Louis.  Though there were only about 30 folks there, he performed like he was on stage before thousands, giving it 110%.  That effort cemented my appreciation for him as an artist.  

Well, it seems Mr. Martel has his own unhealthy fascination: with Christmas music.  Over the last few years, it seems, the only thing he's done outside of the Queen stuff is to record a handful of Christmas EPs.  And of course, I love his Drummer Boy.  So without further ado...



No comments: