For it is by grace you have been saved...

Friday, December 11, 2020

12 Days of Drummer Boy - Day 5

 I remember way back in my college days, the first time I heard a Bryan Duncan solo record.  I was blown away. He was/is part of Christian music pioneers Sweet Comfort Band, but really gained fame as a solo artist.  Have Yourself Committed (1985)  and Holy Rollin' (1986) took CCM by storm, and working at our college radio station, I played these over and over. 

I actually got to meet Bryan.  He was opening for Steve Taylor on the On the Fritz tour.  Our station was helping sponsor the concert in Kansas City, and so my radio partner, David King, and I got to do the on stage announcing/introductions, as well as interviewing both performers.  

My clearest memory of that encounter was when I said something to Mr. Duncan about really liking his jazzy sound, and he immediately corrected me:  "It's Blue-eyed Soul."  Well, whatever you call it, I love it.  

Duncan went kind of pop/AC for several records, but later came back to those "blue-eyed soul" roots, recording a couple projects with what was called the NehoSoul Band.  One of those was a Christmas album, from which today's entry comes from. 




No comments: